Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Classic recipes

Here are some classic recipes which I learnt many, many years ago at Tafe. They have been tried and tested with all the kids I've worked with in the past and I'm sure have been used by others long before I ever learnt them!

Play dough (cooked)

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1 tbs oil
1/2 cup salt
1 tbs cream of tartar
Food colouring

Mix the flour, water, salt and cream of tartar over a medium heat until thick. When it has cooled, add the oil and knead well adding the food colouring. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.



Play dough (uncooked)

2 cups flour
4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup salt
1 1/2 - 2 cups boiling water
3 - 4 tbs oil
Food colouring

Add oil and food colouring to boiling water. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well. The dough will become smoother as you mix and knead it. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Play dough (Bellini/Thermomix recipe - from the Bellini Addicts cookbook)

250g water
100g salt
1tbs cream of tartar
280g flour
15ml oil
Food colouring

Put the water, salt, food colouring and cream of tartar into the bowl. Heat for 5 minutes at 60 degrees, speed 3. Add flour and mix for 40 seconds or until mixture is combined and thick. Add oil and knead for 1 minute. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Goop (or some people call it Oobleck - I've always called it Goop!)

Corn flour (1 or 2 packets)
Water
Food colouring

Put the cornflour in a bowl and add water to make a paste. Add food colouring. This makes a messy gooey goop which goes from liquid to solid while you play with it (its hard to explain, but you will understand when you try it!) kids love using kitchen utensils in a big tray of goop to pour, scoop, spoon, ladle, etc. the mixture may dry up and become hard while playing, if this happens just add more water. Definitely an outside activity!


Slime

1 cup Lux flakes
2 cups warm water
Food colouring

Dissolve Lux flakes in a container with the warm water. Add food colouring. Let the mixture stand until it becomes thick then beat until slimy consistency (I have an old set of egg beaters which are perfect for making slime but these aren't really that common anymore. I think electric beaters would work fine too, just start with a low setting!) This is another outside activity which kids like to scoop and pour using kitchen utensils. I have yet to try this activity with my Ladybug due to the soap, but the kids at work were older and always loved it. I will wait a bit longer to make sure she understands not to taste it or rub it in her eyes.

Cloud Dough

8 cups flour
1 cup oil ( I use canola or whatever yucky oil we have sitting at home not being used!)

Mix together in a large tub or bowl. Easy! The end product is mouldable, like sand, but then collapses into soft powder when you grab it. My daughter has some sand castle moulds/toys, rakes, spades, etc which are perfect for this. Another outside activity!



Bubble mix

4 tbs dish washing liquid
1 cup water
2 tbs glycerin

Mix all ingredients together and use with bubble wands. The glycerin is optional but it strengthens the bubbles.


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I love these classic recipes, as they get used over and over again throughout childhood. I have a favourite play dough recipe that I reuse and adapt regularly and find it hard to try a new one. I always end up using the good ole classic one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! These have definitely been my go-to recipes/activities when I can't think of anything else to do! I love them and the kids do too

    ReplyDelete